In love with Shanghai cuisine

Mmmm! Juicy dumplings
Xiao Long Bao: (noun). also known as soup dumpling, is a type of steamed bun or baozi from eastern China, including Shanghai and Wuxi. It is traditionally steamed in small bamboo baskets, hence the name (xiaolong is literally "small steaming basket").

I've had my fair share of Xiao Long Bao tastings. I almost always order this dish when I have dim sum, and I have even tried the "official" Xin Wang in Shanghai. But recently, I came across Shanghai House in San Francisco and I must admit...it came pretty darn close to Shanghai!

PROS: Soft, fresh rolled dough. Sweet broth inside (some places make it too salty). Fresh chopped veggies and meat.
CON: There is a small wait for these to arrive, but only because they don't start making it until you order so you know it's FRESH.

No comments:

Post a Comment